Here in the Digital Lab we have been working on digitizing our extensive glass negative collection that includes historical photographs of the tri-state area. Today we over 1100 images digitized that include historical Brooklyn, Manhattan, Long Island, Connecticut and New Jersey. The whole collection is available through our website and more are being added every day! This photograph was taken by George Bradford Brainerd who is just one of the photographers represented in the BMA glass negative collection.
This particular image is of the Plum Island Lighthouse and its keeper. Plum Island is a small island off the eastern end of the North Fork of Long Island in New York. In the nineteenth century this lighthouse was used as a navigation tool through the “Plum Gut” channel into the Long Island Sound. Although it was rebuilt several times, today the lighthouse is included in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. However, you probably won’t be able to visit the island anymore due to its use as an animal testing site by the U.S. government since 1954. The only way to see it today is by taking the Cross Sound Ferry that connects Long Island to Connecticut.
Posted by Tracie Davis
Renoir, son fils Pierre et Alphonse Fournaise (fils) dans une barque à Chatou vers 1900.